The Sugar Creek History
SERVICE TIMES: Sunday Morning
Each of our Sunday services are identical and includes a time of worship through acapella singing, prayer, communion, generous giving and expository preaching from the Bible.
- 9:45am — Morning Bible Class (Nursery Provided)
- Children & Adult Classes
- 11:00am — Morning Worship (Nursery and Children’s Worship Provided)
- 5:00pm — Evening Worship
- 9:00am—Wednesday Morning Bible Class
- 7:00pm—Wednesday Evening Bible Class
The Sugar Creek Church of Christ, formerly known as the Southwest Church of Christ, began on October 9, 1988. The first worship service was conducted at the Woodlawn Avenue Holiday Inn, with only 4 families in attendance. The congregation was planted by Bro .David and Sis. Sandra Chislom.
As the congregation began to grow, it moved to a larger room, but the hotel did not permit midweek services. Mid-week services were held initially in the home of Bro. and Sis. Chislom. Later, mid-week service would rotate from house to house in the fashion of the first century church.
In 1989, the congregation relocated to the Clanton Road Ramada Inn Hotel. Mid-week services still had to be conducted from house to house. Membership had grown to 60+ members and the Ramada Inn facilities were very cramped. This factor and the unpredictability of the hotel service encouraged the move to the J. Mason Smith Middle School in 1990. Our growth continued to over 100 members.
We were able to prolong our stay in the school by baptizing one of the school janitors. Eventually, we lost our contract with the school and for 3 months we worshipped in the building of the Archdale Church of Christ congregation on Sunday Mornings, and had a joint worship service on Sunday and Wednesday nights.
In 1991, we purchased approximately 5 acres of land in north Charlotte off Sugar Creek and Sofley Road. Since moving to Sofley Road the church growth has escalated. After 10 years in the current space became limited yet again. In 2001, God blessed us to move into a 1.4 million building.
Shortly after moving into the new edifice, the church endured a major spit. Although many were impacted, we witnessed God’s hand as we moved through adversity into maturity. We experienced growing pains and had to make adjustments in order to develop the infrastructure with which to support the growth of the church. We are forever thankful to the man of God, Bro. David Chislom; for his consistent leadership through the many transitions and years of hardship.
On June 3, 2012 Bro. David Chislom passed the torch to Bro. Leslie James and was ordained as the Evangelist at Sugar Creek. Together, we have witnessed new converts obey the gospel of Christ and all members move maturity in Christ. We praise God for our rich heritage and the privilege to serve Him with excellence.
“There is a unique experience that makes our family shine. Sugar Creek embraces a loving, warm, and generous spirit that radiates within the hearts and faces of its members. Our love and positive attitude is what has brought us, what will take us, and keep us glowing, growing, and pleasing the Lord.
Sugar Creek can be illustrated in three ways:
- A Family: We are brothers and sisters who have been called by one message into one household. We praise and honor our Father and He validates our worship by blessing us as His children.
- A Hospital: We are a hospital filled with imperfect Christians who have been battered, bruised and broken by the effects of sin. This is where we are healed by the Great Physician, and for this reason we forsake not the assembly and the fellowship of the saints.
- A Battleship: We are soldiers that have been commissioned by the Chief Commander to expand His territory while on our mission to heaven. On this journey we encounter assault, ambush and opposition but find constant assurance in Him who has conquered the enemy.